What We Do
ECALA is a granting council that builds capacity in agencies to deliver courses and learning activities to adult foundational learners in Edmonton by:
- Allocating funding to agencies in Edmonton for courses and learning activities
- Providing relevant and accessible free or low-cost practitioner professional development sessions
- Providing coaching and mentoring support for staff working in funded agencies
- Facilitating community conversations relevant to adult foundational learning in Edmonton
- Raising awareness about the availability and need for foundational life skill building for adults in Edmonton
- Collaborating and partnering with agencies supporting adult foundational learning
ECALA’s VISION is a community where everyone can learn and grow.
ECALA’s Board of Directors and staff are passionate about ensuring everyone has access to lifelong learning opportunities which meets their goals in a flexible learning environment. Accessible, non-credit and part-time adult foundational skill-building programs enable individuals to pursue further learning, have satisfying and meaningful employment, and fully participate in community life.
ECALA’s mandate is to build capacity through investing, leading, and coordinating learning opportunities for adults.
In pursuit of that vision, ECALA exists so that:
- There are accessible learning opportunities for adult learners experiencing barriers
- Adult education providers have access to professional development and coaching and mentoring support so they can meet the needs of learners
- Investment in learning opportunities is based on community needs and priorities identified by learners
- A coordinated community-based approach can be used to create positive change for learners and a more connected community.
What We Value
- Collaboration: ECALA supports lifelong adult learning that promotes innovation, and cooperation amoung diverse learners.
- Focus on the Learner: ECALA understands the significance of learner goals as the focus of adult learning.
- Community: ECALA supports learning opportunities identified by community needs assessments and conversations with learners.
- Transparency: ECALA believes in openness, responsiveness, and accountability to all stakeholders.
Diversity, Equity and Inclusion
ECALA continues to work towards more diversity, equity and inclusive funding, employment and communication practices. The Board of Directors approved the new Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Policy in December 2021 after reviewing grant recipient agencies and staff feedback. In recent years several of the policy provisions have been implemented. ECALA staff and board members will Implement the remaining provisions through staff and Board member recruitment, training and communications changes