What We Do
ECALA is a granting council that builds capacity in agencies to deliver courses and learning activities to adult foundational learners in Edmonton by:
- Allocating funding to agencies in Edmonton for courses and learning activities
- Providing relevant and accessible free or low-cost practitioner professional development sessions
- Providing coaching and mentoring support for staff working in funded agencies
- Facilitating community conversations relevant to adult foundational learning in Edmonton
- Raising awareness about the availability and need for foundational life skill building for adults in Edmonton
- Collaborating and partnering with agencies supporting adult foundational learning
ECALA’s VISION is “Everyone can learn”. ECALA’s Board of Directors and staff are passionate about ensuring everyone has access to lifelong learning opportunities which meets their goals in a flexible learning environment. Accessible, non-credit and part-time adult foundational skill-building programs enable individuals to pursue further learning, have satisfying and meaningful employment, and fully participate in community life.
ECALA’s mandate is to build capacity through investing, leading, and coordinating learning opportunities for adults.
What We Value
- ECALA supports lifelong adult learning that promotes innovation, collaboration, and cooperation in an environment of respect for diverse learners.
- ECALA supports learner-centred programming.
- ECALA invites Edmontonians to be engaged in conversations that affect their learning opportunities.
- ECALA believes in openness, responsiveness, and accountability with all its stakeholders.
Diversity, Equity and Inclusion
ECALA continues to work towards more diversity, equity and inclusive funding, employment and communication practices. The Board of Directors approved the new Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Policy in December 2021 after reviewing grant recipient agencies and staff feedback. In recent years several of the policy provisions have been implemented. ECALA staff and board members will Implement the remaining provisions through staff and Board member recruitment, training and communications changes