Indigenous Ways of Knowing and Being
ECALA funded and took part in two Indigenous Living with Literacy research projects (2015 and 2018) which resulted in several changes to funding literacy learning opportunities for Indigenous learners.
Goals and objectives of the projects include:
- Building upon senior leader support for advancing Belonging, Inclusion, Reconciliation and Diversity
- Model diversity and inclusiveness at the board, senior leadership, and staff levels
- Create an inclusive and welcoming environment (such as the Land Acknowledgement)
- Analyze ECALA granting processes
- Build capacity to engage the community around conversations of Belonging, Inclusion, Reconciliation and Diversity.
ECALA employs an Indigenous Education Liaison to help Indigenous and non-Indigenous organizations to increase engagement with Indigenous learners and to provide coaching and mentoring and Indigenous professional development. ECALA’s staff and board receive guidance from the newly formed Indigenous Working Group.